CBIS 6060426

The General Fleischer Monument

On the monument there was an inscription saying:
In memory of the Norwegian force's brave efforts in the war operations during the reclaiming of Narvik on may 28th 1940, under leadership of general major Carl Gustav Fleischer.

May 28th 1988 the original inscription was repaced with a new one:
In memory of the Norwegian force's brave efforts in the war operations during the reclaiming of Narvik on may 28th 1940, under leadership of general major Carl Gustav Fleischer. During the combats at the city fronts April 9th until 9th of June 1940 the 6th division had 107 fallen men.
The inscription also include names, dates and places of their fall. Over the writing there's a carved portrait of the general.

The monument, earlier placed at Ornes, was unveiled july 18th 1950, by the lieutenant general Ole Berg.
Narvik High School Society took initiative for the rising of the monument, and got support for a fundraising by the local newspapers in town. The city's town hall also donated economical support to the cause.
The ingravement is done by sculptor Finn Eriksen. The summer of 1975 the monument was moved to the locally called Veteran Square, 2,8 km north of Narvik city centre.

It was financed through funds from soldiers and commanders at the Guard Battalion II/DKN in 1945, and by by grants from the Defense Fund for Northern Norway. General Sverre Bratland, who served as patrol driver at the city front in 1940, in the School Company, unveiled the new monument on May 28th, 1988.

Contact information